Sunday 8 April 2012

Can YOU save the planet?

I'm quite a tree hugger. My first office boss, on my crusade to save money and trees, was like "Sheena, you're quite the tree hugger." And I replied "Yes, you could learn a thing or two." Okay, I didn't actually say it that way. But I did just go "Yes, it's the way everyone should be."

And I think that. I kinda die inside when things print wrong and I have to throw the paper away, and by that I mean recycle. 

I have one of those small bathroom bins in my kitchen, and that's the only bin in the house. Everything else goes in recycling or food waste, and I've mostly converted my boyfriend. I'm not sure if this is a Canadian thing, or just my family but I have heard people comment that my brother is a keen recycler as well. 


That brings me to my point in this post. I notice so much of what we use and then discard. And it's things we buy to throw away. Like makeup remover wipes,  paper towel/kitchen roll, tissues... I only really use kitchen paper roll when I'm draining bacon grease. And  I have actually started using handkerchiefs. Cath Kidston sells really cute ones, and I didn't know anywhere did anymore! Even when I was a kid we didn't have them so I have started a collection. I have about 6 now, and with allergy season in full force I am saving a ton of trees! They have a few new designs I want, so I'm sure I'll find a need to buy some more but since I'm replacing disposable tissues with these lovely ones I can justify it! (Also, I wait until they go on sale!)


Then there's this thing I cannot get on board for: Swiffer, but luckily it hasn't come to the UK. What a waste! But then I saw this pattern on Pinterest and thought I should share it with you lucky people.







And with my current knitting project, it's not going well. I am not a fan of lace projects it seems! But I'm plugging on with it so wish me luck!!!  

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with this! I've knit up some swiffer cloths, they are great. I also use cloth napkins, even though sometimes I really have to encourage guests to use them- often people are so used to paper, but I don't see the point. And lots of kitchen tea towels work great for anything that paper towels were going to do, anyways!

    ReplyDelete