Friday 6 April 2012

Little Rays of Sunshine

The sun is finally out! And I'm inside. Knitting with that super fine gold yarn. Its a bit of a nightmare, but I would rather do it on a day that I have good lighting! My little basement flat isn't prone to sharing daylight with me, so I take what I can get!

I have had to look a few things up knittingwise lately, to learn new techniques. Now, I'm a fairly self taught knitter. I had someone show me the knit stitch, and then together we kinda figure out casting on, casting off, colour work, joining in the round, ribbing, etc. I clearly didn't make this stuff up and just figure it out, but I didn't know another knitter close by to teach me.

My first real project was Bird and Vine Mittens. First. With circular, thumbs, ribbing, colourwork. And they are so full of mistakes, but I love them. See the bottom ribbing? And they still aren't cast off properly at the top, as I wanted a stretchy bind off and the one I think I sort of made up just isn't right.


What I did have was Lesley Stanfield's Encyclopedia of Knitting Techniques, (I think she has a brand new one out now as well) with great pictures and great diagrams.

And I had the power of Google/You Tube. There are so many videos on there to show you just about everything to do with knitting. I personally love teaching people how to do things, but sometimes you're in the middle of something and don't know anyone who could help (hello to you 2am knitters!). And some of the accents of the teachers are very deep south USA so its' funny to think that people are doing this worldwide and helping each other!

Today I learned crochet cast on (which I didn't like for my current project and have found ways around actually having to use it) and the other day it was one of the cabling directions in my Aidez cardigan that I looked at and just went Huh?! Enter youtube and problem solved!

Just don't be afraid to try new things! You might be a cable genius or become addicted to colour work the way I did, but unless you try you just won't know! And if you need help, just ask me. If I know I will help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment